CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, March 20, 2009

God's Gift to Ironing!!!

Ok, so I admit......I HATE TO IRON. It's one of those chores that I absolutely cringe when Corey needs it done. Another reason why I NEVER buy anything that needs ironing. Corey use to rarely wear THOSE type of clothes, but now with his new job, I suppose he likes to look more professional....MAJOR UGH for me!!


I honestly don't even think I owned an iron until a few years after we got married. I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest one I could find. I hate to admit this, but I even bought that funny infomercial one you see at the Women's Show that irons with no heat just steam, water, & salt......SPECIAL ALERT-Don't waste your money, it doesn't work!! I would iron, spray some starch, iron, iron again and continue for at least 20 minutes and the shirt would still look wrinkly...truly a waste of my time. If there was a dry cleaner closer to my house, I would have gladly paid someone to do the ironing. Since most of you know how incredibly frugal I am.....that's how much I despised ironing.


Move forward to a few weeks ago, while browsing my favorite store Costco......I happened to find this iron that has the word "professional" on the box. "Maybe that's what I need" I think to myself. It wasn't like the $18 one I originally bought at Walmart and in my frugal mind I couldn't believe I was about to spend $65 on an iron....but I was desperate to find a calm in this ironing storm, so in my cart it went! I brought it home and obviously didn't open it right away.....as usual I put it off as long as I could. But last night, Corey needed a shirt to wear and all of his shirts were in need of an iron job, so I could no longer put off my chore. I pulled out my new iron and plugged it in. First off, this thing is heavy duty! I poured the water into the iron and waited for it to heat up.....I decided to test to make sure it was working and put my hand on the iron (remember this was like 20 seconds after I plugged it in)...I suppose I should have read the box that said "Heats up in 30 seconds"...thankfully I was able to pull away fast enough to only feel the heat and not get burnt!! WARNING-This iron will burn you, do not touch!


I line my first shirt up on the ironing board and ironically feel an excitement for the first time ever (when ironing)...almost like when you are about to go down a water slide and know it's going to be fun....the iron hits the shirt and LITERALLY one swipe and that shirt is flat as a pancake!! Could this be true? Did this iron really just do that? After finishing that shirt in like 45 seconds, I had to try again, and again, and again, until all 10 of his shirts were ironed!!! I actually LIKE to iron....I was just missing out, all these years with a crappy iron. Boy do I feel sorry for the poor soul who buys my old iron at the Salvation Army!! I know I should just throw it away but I come from a family (Meyer) who never throws ANYTHING away!! Thankfully, I didn't inherit the "pack rat" mentality too bad and discovered the amazing right off world of taxes.


Now the burning question......what is the name of this iron and where can I get it!! I know I'm not the only one out there who hates to iron...so ladies and gentlemen......GOD'S GIFT TO IRONING........THE ROWENTA PROFESSIONAL IRON


4 comments:

swellflamingo said...

Saw your blog on Staci's blog... and the ironing post caught my eye. I love it... it describes everything I feel about ironing. I have always wanted to really love ironing because it has such a great old fashioned, nostalgic feel to it but could never get into it. Now I know its because I have a cheap iron... I mean its pink... so it must be cheap. Thanks for the info... cant wait to purchase and try out this iron.

Staci said...

I have this iron, too... and love it! I originally received it as a gift for quilting, but have to admit it is now the only iron that we use in our house! However, it still has not inspired me to love ironing! Personally, I think that you have gone a little too far this time, Alisa =)

Ruth said...

The Meyer family is not the only place you got the "pack rat" gene..just ask your dad about Uncle Doc...glad that Corey now has a "ironing loving" wife...you should contact the company that sells these and post a link and maybe you can work a deal where you can get a kick back when people click on it...BTW...did you ever tell Corey who REALLY ironed those 10 shirts for him?..I love your blog!!..Keep it up!!

Slightly Hippieish Mama said...

Yes my mother has done most of my ironing through all the years I've been married....but I'm sure those days are over unless of course she is desperately missing ironing now that Dad is retired!! She can come use my fabulous iron!!

I knew there were others out there, glad you found my blog.....trust me you are not alone on so many things!!