CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Time-In's??

Ok, so I recently read an article in my Mothering magazine about "Time-In's" instead of time-outs. Interesting, but would never work with my child....I thought. Basically, a time-in consists of setting your child down in a "family circle", with all involved and taking turns expressing your feelings using the "talking ball/stick".

So, the other day I get my opportunity and try it. It goes something like this: Brayden hits Boden.....I immediately want to react with my normal "GO TO YOUR ROOM" scream, but instead call everyone into a family circle.....all while Brady looks at me as if I've lost my mind. Mom gets the ball first and starts by saying how sad and angry it makes her to see her little boy hit his brother. Boden is then handed the ball and cries loudly, sharing his sadness. Brayden gets the ball next, and expresses why he hit his brother. Mom gets the ball back and asks what we can do to make this situation better instead of hitting. Brayden has an idea, therefore gets the ball back and shares his idea. Boden....stopped crying so he must like the idea too. Mommy says....."I REALLY like that idea, high fives for you and high fives for your brother too." It WORKED?? (10 minutes later)

As much as I hate screaming like a wild ban chi....anything was worth the effort, even if it does take 10 minutes out of my day. Can't tell you that I will remember to do that every time, but when I have the time, I'll try. Plus, Brady always comes up with the best ideas that continue to make me smile....something I desperately need when I'm about to lose my mind!!

Here's to Time-in's......don't worry though, I haven't completely converted...there's still something bout a good ole spanking that seems to do the trick when craziness has set in!!

0 comments: